When I first met Dave, I was introduced to all kind of Slovakian food I’d never heard of. When his mother first served me halupki, (stuffed cabbage rolls) I was wary. But I’m so glad I gave it a try, it’s now one of my favorite meals!
I recently decided to pull out my crockpot and attempt to make these myself. I’d never made this dish before because I always assumed it was a lot of work. Luckily, it wasn’t very time consuming at all, especially thanks to the crockpot which did all the cooking for me.
The stuffed cabbage rolls came out delicious and we all enjoyed it so much we didn’t leave any leftovers!
Slow Cooker Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
- 1 head of cabbage
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups onion chopped
- 3 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 cans tomato sauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tsp butter
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Remove any damaged outer leaves of cabbage. Core cabbage, separate the leaves.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Place cabbage leaves in pot and boil 3-5 minutes until tender. Drain and rinse the leaves under cool water and set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 tsp of butter. Add 1 cup chopped onions, stir and cook until the onions start to caramelize – about 5 minutes. Add 2 tsp chopped garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl combine ground turkey, rice, egg, milk, cooked onions & garlic, and salt & pepper.
- Place 1/4 cup of stuffing (meat mixture) into the center of each cabbage leaf. Fold in sides and roll ends over meat.
- Place smaller unused leaves on bottom of slow cooker. Place rolls into slow cooker.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat melt tsp butter. Add 1 cup chopped onions and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add 1 tsp minced garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, brown sugar, lemon juice, Worcestshire sauce, and onion & garlic mixture from small saucepan.
- Pour sauce over the cabbage rolls in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.