It’s one of my favorite times of the year! The weather is warming up, the sun is shining, the flowers are blooming. It’s time to get outdoors, get some exercise, and even plan a road trip or two. Don’t forget Fido or Fluffy in your outdoor and travel plans.
I’m excited to team up with Purina on this sponsored post to share tips about keeping your pet safe at home & on the go.
As soon as the weather warms up we all love to get outside and get active. That includes Yoshi & Sunny too.
They may even enjoy being outside more than we do!
Did you know that June is National Pet Preparedness Month? As the weather warms up it’s the perfect time for pet owners to take a look at their summer safety and pet preparedness plans at home and on the road so they can live safe, healthy, and happy lives with their pets.
While Yoshi and Sunny love to get outside, go for walks, and run around in the fresh air, we like to make sure they stay safe while doing it.
They love this portable water bottle that makes it easy to have water available for them on a hike or even a road trip.
Just like humans, the very hot days of summer can leave a pet dehydrated or ill if not properly attended to. Pet owners need to be mindful of their exercise, outdoor time, and hydration to keep them safe, happy, and healthy.
And did you know that pets can get sunburned too? You can apply pet approved sunscreen to a pets ears and nose, but don’t use human sunscreen.
Also, summer is road trip season and the perfect opportunity to bond with your pet. I love that there are so many pet friendly places to visit these days, it makes traveling with your pet easier and more fun. It’s important to take the necessary steps to ensure your pet is safe and you are prepared for life on the road.
Here are some great tips for traveling with your pet:
It’s also a good idea to keep a travel kit available for your pet as you hit the road like this one:
Here are some essentials from the kit above to include:
- A Smiling Sun Stuffed Dog Toy – no matter where you are this summer your pet should have some fun in the sun
- Purina Busy Bone Dog Treats – on a long car ride these treats will help keep your pup preoccupied in the backset and the more comfortable your pet is the better the trip will go
- Pioneer Woman Natural Dog Treats: Classic Shortcake Biscuits – Pioneer Woman and Purina included healthy ingredients in these new dog treats to provide your pup with a healthy summer snack
- Purina Pro Plan FortiFlora Cat + Dog Probiotic Supplement – when traveling with your pet, just like us, sometimes their digestive track can get off balance so it’s important to consider keeping your cat or dog Purina Pro Plan Fortiflora on hand to prevent upset stomach or diarrhea.
- Purina One Grain Free Premium Pate Wet Cat Food + Purina Friskies Pate Wet Cat Food – even our feline friends like a cool treat, if they don’t mind their food chilled, consider putting some wet food like Purina ONE or Friskies in the fridge prior to feeding for a cool, refreshing meal. Wet cat food also helps keep cats hydrated which is particularly important on hot days.
- Pet Safety Card – an easy and helpful way to keep your pet safe while traveling
Another summer pet safety tip is to be mindful of summer ingredient safety. Fruits and berries contain vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants and tend to be low in sugar so, when fed properly, they’re actually healthy for dogs in the same ways they’re healthy for humans, which is why they can be found in some pet foods. Still some farmer’s market finds and common summer foods can be harmful to pets.
Check out this chart to learn which summer foods are safe for pets:
There are many factors that can affect a pet’s health and safety in the summer months, from what they eat, to the heat, even anxiety in high stress situations like 4th of July fireworks. That’s why I love that the pet experts at Purina help pet owners prepare for a variety of situations they may encounter as the weather warms up.
Purina has more than 500 behaviorists, veterinarians, and nutritionists on staff who understand and care about the health, safety, and overall wellness of all pets. That’s why they are taking the time to get the word out to all pet owners about the importance of pet safety so we can all enjoy summer with our best friends.
For more information about keeping your pets safe, healthy, and how to always be prepared, visit: www.Purina.com/Expertise
Have a safe, happy, and healthy summer!