One of my favorite memories growing up is waiting for my cousin to come over to my grandma’s house after school and enjoying pb&j sandwiches with him. He would always tell my sister and I that if we wanted to learn to whistle we’d have to eat our crusts. I ate mine every time and do you know that ’til this day I can’t whistle?
While I do love a good peanut butter & jelly sandwich, recently I was in the mood for a grilled cheese but wanted something different. I opened my pantry and fridge to see what ingredients we had on hand and grabbed a couple of things. I laid them out on the counter and decided to keep it simple but step outside the box a bit.
That’s why I’m thrilled with how this Tomato Basil Grilled Cheese Sandwich turned out. I used fresh cherry tomatoes and fresh basil along with sliced cheese. It’s amazing how adding these two simple ingredients made this one of the most flavorful grilled cheese sandwiches I’ve ever had.
It was easy to make and so full of summer flavor that it’s become one of my favorite sandwiches. I look forward to making it for the kids once they start school. They’ll be excited to come home to such a delicious grilled cheese sandwich.
- 4 slices of wheat bread
- 4 slices of sliced cheese
- 6 cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp butter
- Heat a griddle on med-low. Spread butter on one side of each of the 4 slices of bread.
- Place bread butter side down on the griddle.
- Top two slices of bread with cheese, basil, and tomatoes. Top these slices of bread with other two slices to make a sandwich.
- Heat until bread is golden brown, then flip.
- Heat until the other side is golden brown and cheese is melted, then remove from griddle.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you liked this post, you may also enjoy: