We love applesauce. Between all of us we could go through two big jars a week if we tried. I’ve always wanted to make homemade applesauce but thought it would be too difficult and daunting. I obviously never looked up a recipe. I was short on time today but wanted to try to make some for the kids so I searched for microwave applesauce recipes online.
I put together the recipe below from a number of different recipes and some of my own inspiration (the pumpkin pie spice – I’m using it in everything these days!). It smelled incredible while cooking and turned out delicious and we can’t wait to make it again.
First, gather your apples.
Super Simple Homemade Microwave Applesauce
- 6 apples (we used green and red)
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/3 cup of white sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Core, cut, and chop apples. Some people prefer to remove the skins as well at this time. Place in microwaveable safe dish.
- Top with water, sugar, butter, honey, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice. Stir and mix well.
- Cover with microwave safe lid. Cook on high for 10 minutes.
- Remove from microwave – be careful it may be hot!
- Mash with potato masher draining excess juice when necessary.
- Serve in bowls, eat and enjoy!