With Kora in all-day kindergarten this year, coming up with lunch ideas every day that are easy, natural, and delicious has been a bit of a challenge. That’s why I was excited to learn about Hormel Natural Choice line of meats which are 100% natural, gluten-free, and have no preservatives. I think it’s wonderful how easy Hormel has made it to prepare healthy and delicious lunches.
Recently I made a batch of Pizza Balls as an appetizer to enjoy while we watched the March Madness games. Kora absolutely loved them and asked if we could make them every day since! So I decided to try to play around with that recipe to come up with something just a bit more healthy using Hormel Natural Choice Cooked Deli Ham. I thought it would be fun to put a spin on the traditional ham & cheese sandwich by adding pineapple salsa, string cheese, chopped pineapple, and folding it all up into an easy to eat puff.
The Pineapple, Ham & Cheese Puffs were a big hit with Kora. She raved about them and was so excited to take them to school. They are delicious right out of the oven or cold. The combination of the ham, pineapple salsa, cheese, and chopped pineapple is reminiscent of a pineapple ham pizza with a flavorful twist.
I really love this recipe because it is so easy to make, delicious, and a healthy twist on a traditional lunch. It only takes minutes to assemble and before you know it you have 14 servings of a healthy and delicious school sandwiches which makes for happy families!
Pineapple, Ham & Cheese Puffs
- 1 package of Hormel Natural Choice Cooked Deli Ham
- 2 (8 oz) cans of refrigerated seamless dough sheets or 2 (8 oz) cans reduced-fat refrigerated crescent rolls
- ½ cup pineapple salsa
- ½ cup chopped pineapple
- 3 sticks (1 oz ea.) natural reduced-fat string cheese, chopped
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat 2 cookie sheets with cooking spray.
- Open and unroll one dough sheet (if using crescent rolls press seams to seal) and cut into 7 large rectangles.
- Place 1 slice of Hormel Natural Choice Cooked Deli Ham on each rectangle, fold ham to fit as needed.
- Spoon 1 tbsp. salsa on top of ham. Top with 2-3 pieces of chopped pineapple and 3-5 pieces of chopped string cheese.
- Fold up corners and tuck in sides of dough to make a ball or puff. Place puffs on cookie sheet and repeat with second can of dough.
- Cook puffs for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Enjoy warm or cold!
I’m excited to announce that this sandwich has been entered into Hormel’s Healthy Meals, Happy Family Sandwich Creation Recipe Contest on Facebook!
The recipe contest is between myself and 4 other bloggers and if you vote for my Pineapple, Ham & Cheese Puffs, you are entered for a chance to win $2,500! And to increase your chances of winning, you can vote daily!
To vote, visit the Hormel Natural Choice Facebook Page and click on the Contest tab.
The contest deadline is August 31st, 2012. So hurry over to vote now!
Coupons and compensation were received. The honest opinions are my own and those of my family.