Dave, Kora, and Logan are all big fans of breakfast. They always look forward to it even if it’s just a bowl of cereal or frozen waffles. I’m not much of a breakfast person but I like to surprise the three of them every now and then with something special. One of the easiest ways to get them smiling is by serving a big stack of pancakes. They all loooove pancakes!
We’ve played around with different ingredients in the pancakes in the past and they have a long list of favorites: chocolate chips, strawberries, sprinkles, and more. Recently we had Kora & Logan’s cousins over and I wanted to make something special for breakfast. I remember that awhile back I had made some pancake mini muffins and everyone enjoyed them. I thought I’d give them a try again but wanted to use a surprise ingredient.
I opened my cupboard and there it was staring at me – Nutella! I used some in my Nutella Stuffed Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Easter Eggs and was impressed. I couldn’t wait to mix it into the muffins to see how they would come out.
As soon as the oven timer went off, I quickly pulled them out and was thrilled with how they looked. The Nutella swirled through the muffins perfectly and they looked fantastic!
I was a bit afraid it would just blend into the muffins giving them a dark brown color but when I mixed the Nutella into the batter I made sure to first drop it in by spoonfuls and then mix very lightly. I was so pleased it worked and the muffins are wonderful!
Kora, Logan, and their cousins were thrilled and declared these, “Amazing!” and “Awesome!” I love them too especially either warm right out of the oven or heated in the microwave for a few seconds and then topped with just a bit of butter. Yum!
I’m adding this recipe to our list of favorites and look forward to making it for other special occasions, the first day of summer vacation, getting a good grade on a test, walking the dog, tying shoes, wearing matching socks…we love these so much I’m looking for any reason to make them again!
- 2 cups of pancake mix
- 1 tbsp Canola oil
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat 3 mini-muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Except for the Nutella, mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Put the Nutella in a microwaveable safe bowl and heat on high for 20-30 seconds
- Spoon the Nutella into the batter – use another spoon to help drop in large spoonfuls. Then very lightly drag a butter knife through the spoonfuls so it will swirl just a bit but not mix completely into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the mini muffin tins until each is about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15 minutes, use a toothpick to test the center, if it comes out clean they are ready.
- Serve warm with butter and enjoy!
If you liked this, you may also enjoy: