Dave’s birthday was just last week. To celebrate, I wanted to surprise him with something other than a traditional cake. He isn’t a huge cake and pie fan so I passed on those. He does love brownies and I usually make up a batch every year for him. However this year I was on a quest for something a bit different. I couldn’t decide what to make when one day a bright blue package of Oreos started calling my name.
The moment reminded me that Dave loves Oreos as much as he loves brownies so I thought it would be fun to do something with them in a birthday sort of way. I grabbed a can of chocolate frosting and inspired by all of the chocolate covered Oreos I’ve been seeing on Pinterest lately, I decided to make Mini Oreo Birthday Cakes.
Making them was a bit messy, I’ll admit, but they turned out so cute and delicious that I’d make them again for other celebrations. They are perfect for kids to help with too. When I presented them to Dave he was really surprised. When I told him they were Oreos he smiled, took a bite, and said, “Oh, wow! These are amazing!” For the little amount of work this recipe was I”ll take a compliment like that any day.
The mini birthday cakes were a big hit and everyone enjoyed them. They were simple to prepare and full of wonderful chocolate and creme flavors. I was happy they received such huge compliments and I look forward to making them again soon.
Mini Oreo Birthday Cakes
- 1 package of Oreos
- 1 can of chocolate frosting
- Line up one layer of Oreos on a baking sheet.
- Spread a layer of chocolate frosting on top of each cookie. Top each cookie with another cookie.
- Scoop 1/4 of the frosting into a microwaveable safe bowl. Heat in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.
- Using a spoon, pour the melted frosting over top of the Oreos.
- Heat more frosting as needed until all of the cookies are fully covered.
- Top with sprinkles.
- Put the baking sheet in the freezer for 1 hour or until frosting has hardened.
- Serve cold or remove from freezer to let the mini birthday cakes return to room temperature. The frosting should stay firm for a day or two.
What about you? What is one of your favorite recipes to make for birthday celebrations?