The March of Dimes is a nonprofit solely focused on raising awareness and advocacy for prematurity and birth defects that affect millions of moms and babies across the country. This group means a lot to me and I’m happy to share with you the information on their upcoming event.
On Sunday, April 29th the March of Dimes March for Babies will take place at Voinivich Park in downtown Cleveland. The walk begins at 10 am.
This event is important to Ohio because every week in just this state:
- 2902 babies are born premature
- 382 babies are born preterm
- 254 babies are born low birth weight
- 22 babies die before their first birthday
- 1 in 14 infants is born to a woman who received late or no prenatal care
The March for Babies is the March of Dimes biggest fundraiser. Money raised from the walk supports the group’s mission to give every baby a healthy start. It is used to fund important research as well as community programs that help moms have full-term pregnancies and babies to have healthy lives.
If you’re not in the Cleveland area there are two other March for Babies events around the state.
- Akron on Saturday, May 5th at 9:30 am at Lock 3 Park.
- Mahoning Valley on Sunday May 15th at 1 pm in the Austintown Township Park.
I encourage everyone to make an effort to participate in one of these walks to help babies and mothers get a healthy start. To sign up visit the March for Babies website.