I hate mosquitoes! I think it’s safe to say everyone does. Mosquitoes however love Dave and Logan. We can play a family game of kickball or sit outside in the evening making s’mores and Kora & I will be enjoying ourselves while Dave and Logan are miserable and swatting away. Logan will wake up in the morning with horrible, huge, itchy mosquito bitess.
Thermacell items pictured received.
It is a big problem for him and a huge concern for me. I spray him with bug spray but I’m not completely comfortable with doing so and on hot summer days covering up in long sleeves and pants just isn’t an option. I’ve been searching for alternative ways for how to repel mosquitoes without bug spray and that’s why I am excited about Thermacell.
Thermacell Mosquito Repellent products come in lanterns and other appliances and they use a copy of the natural repellent found in chrysanthemums to create a 15 X 15 foot zone free from mosquitoes in minutes.
How It Works
The lanterns and appliances are powered by a single butane cartridge. Butane allows the products to be portable and cordless. The heat generated from the butane is directed to a metal grill where a small mat with the repellent sits.
Heat vaporizes the repellent and it creates a 225 square foot zone that repels mosquitoes, black flies, sand flies, and no-see-ums in minutes. I was happy to learn that the Thermacell products repel them, but don’t kill them.
This is a great video that shows you how it works:
The lanterns are both stylish and look great on decks, patios, the beach, or the campground. They both light up as well either with or without the repellent being active.
- For best coverage, place the unit close to the ground which will allow the repellent to spread over maximum area
- If the wind is blowing place the unit so the wind blows over it first, then the area you want to protect, this way the wind will carry the repellent where you want it
- For best results, start the device and place it outdoors where you plan to be for at least 15 minutes prior
- Change the repellent mat when it turns white
- If there is going to be a significant amount of time between uses (several days+), it’s suggested to keep the mats in their packaging or in a sealed sandwich bag between uses
We have been very pleased with our lanterns and appliance. We took them down to the beach over the 4th of July and we weren’t bothered by a single mosquito, which was a great relief! We also loved that the lanterns provided a nice glow once the sun set and we waited for the fireworks to start. We’ve used them multiple times since and have been happy each time.
We recommend the Thermacell Lanterns & Appliance to anyone looking for how to repel mosquitoes without bug spray. They are easy to use, are effective, and the lanterns look great too!
Here are lanterns and appliance that have been keeping us free from mosquitoes. Click through the affiliate links to learn more and to purchase them for yourself or others: