This post was sponsored by Neutrogena as part of an influencer activation for The Motherhood. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commissions (FTC) guidelines concerning the use of endorsements and testimonials in advertising. I received complimentary products to facilitate my review..
I was surprised recently to learn that melanoma rates in Michigan are on the rise and have increased 35% in the past 10 years. This is very concerning to me because both myself and my dad have had precancerous melanomas. Thankfully everything turned out all right for both of us, but because it happened it has made us much more aware about sun safety
Did you know that, despite all we know about sun protection, skin cancer continues to be a health epidemic in the U.S.? That on average, more than 350 Americans are diagnosed with skin cancer every hour, even though skin cancer is one of the most preventable cancers?
We take this to heart and since raising kids can feel a lot like “monkey see – monkey do” Dave and I make sure we lead by example and apply sunscreen as often as necessary. Studies show that kids are more likely to adopt healthy habits, like applying sunscreen, if they see their moms applying it on themselves – you know how much they like to mimic mommy!
From the time the kids were little we’ve spent a lot of time outdoors and at the beach. Especially because of my history and my dad’s I make sure the kids have on sunscreen.
When I apply sunscreen I always make sure the kids know that I’m doing it, so they can see that it’s important to me and therefore should be important for them too. In fact, now that they are 9 and 10, they will often ask if they should put sunscreen on if they haven’t already or it’s been awhile.
In the summer, we often spend many days at a nearby lake and I make sure we all apply sunscreen beforehand and then I bring it along with us in our beach/lake tote too so we can reapply later as well.
We go through a lot of sunscreen and as a result I’ve become a bit of an expert on what works best. That’s I’m excited about these Neutrogena products.
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 100+ – This sunscreen stands out because it offers the highest combined UVA/UVB protection and is proven to protect skin from over 99% of sunburn damage.
- Neutrogena CoolDry Sport Sunscreen Stick Broad Spectrum SPF 50+ -With its new Micromesh technology, this sunscreen, allows sweat to pass through and evaporate away while clinically proven, durable protection stays right where it should be.
- Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Sunscreen Lotion Broad Spectrum SPF 60+ – This sunscreen provides superior broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection with Purescreen, a physical Sunscreen that creates a screen between baby’s skin and the sun to provide broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection
- Neutrogena Wet Skin Kids Sunscreen Spray Broad Spectrum SPF 70+ –This is the first line of sunscreen specifically formulated to work with wet skin. It instantly cuts through water providing broad spectrum protection with every application.
While all of these sunscreens are fantastic, there are two that we will be using often this summer.
The Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 100+ is great for me since I was once already diagnosed with a precancerous melanoma. Waiting for the biopsy results to come in was a scary time and I don’t want to go through that again so I like that this is SPF 100+. The fact that it is proven to protect skin from over 99% of sunburn damage is amazing and I like that it has an ultra-light, non-shiny finish that leaves skin soft and smooth.
I’m very excited about the Neutrogena Wet Skin Kids Sunscreen Spray Broad Spectrum SPF 70+ because putting sunscreen on the kids at the lake last summer was a real challenge. We knew we needed to reapply continually throughout the day but the kids would get out of the water and be all wet. We’d have them dry off as much as possible but still worried that there may be some spots the sunscreen wasn’t covering properly because they were wet. And then we didn’t know if they needed to wait to get back into the water. It will be wonderful this summer to have this sunscreen on hand and to be worry free knowing it was made for wet skin.
I also highly recommend checking out the Neutrogena Choose Skin Health Hub Page. There you can:
- Learn about how Neutrogena & Major League Soccer are joining forces to beat skin cancer
- Find the best sunscreen for your skin type
- Learn how to make a DIY sun care kit tote
- Test your skin health IQ
- Learn more about Neutrogena’s Buy 1 Donate 1 campaign, where for every SPF product purchased Neutrogena will donate one to a family in need
- Increase your SPF IQ
- Check out their tools & resources
- Learn how to perform a skin care self-exam
- Read expert advice
Sun safety and skin health is important to us. This summer will be a fun one with a lots of days spent outside and at the lake. I’ll be sure to apply our Neutrogena sunscreen before we head out and again as time goes on. You can make daily sunscreen application second nature for your kids by having them see you apply sunscreen on yourself and spread the word to help educate and protect those you love.
To learn more:
- Visit the Choose Skin Health Hub Page
- Follow Neutrogena on Facebook
- Like Neutrogena on Twitter
- Follow Neutrogena on Instagram
Win a Set of Neutrogena Sunscreens For The Whole Family – 3 Winners!
Prize pack includes:
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 100+
- Neutrogena CoolDry Sport Sunscreen Stick Broad Spectrum SPF 50+
- Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Sunscreen Lotion Broad Spectrum SPF 60+
- Neutrogena Wet Skin Kids Sunscreen Spray Broad Spectrum SPF 70+
To enter use the Rafflecopter form below.
a Rafflecopter giveaway