Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and I was inspired recently to make a twist on a classic favorite cookie of mine. My mom used to make peanut butter cookies with chocolate Kisses in the middle growing up and they bring back fond memories of my childhood. They are well loved around here too so I thought it would be fun to adapt this recipe for Valentine’s Day.
These cookies were a big hit and everyone in the family was excited about them. I found them pretty easy to make. The secret is to place the chocolate peanut butter hearts on the cookies when they first come out of the oven. I discovered it was important to either remove the cookies from the cookie sheet or to move the entire cookie sheet itself off the the top of the stove. I didn’t do this for my first batch and ended up with a melted version of a chocolate heart. They are still delicious but don’t look as pretty.
By putting them on right out of the oven but then moving the cookies themselves or the cookie sheet it allows the chocolate to melt just a little so it sticks to the cookie but also still retains it shape. I hope you enjoy these cookies as much as we did. We can’t wait to make them again soon!
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 bag of chocolate peanut butter hearts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat 2 cookie sheets with cooking spray.In a large bowl mix together butter and peanut butter until creamy. Add brown sugar and white sugar, mix until smooth.
- Beat in egg. Add milk and vanilla and stir well.
- In a separate large bowl mix together flour, baking soda, and salt. Pour peanut butter mix into dry ingredients. Mix until blended.
- Shape into 1 inch balls and place two inches apart on cookie sheet. Press thumb into center to flatten.
- Bake 10-11 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place peanut butter chocolate heart in middle of each cookie. Immediately remove cookies from cookie sheet to cool.
- Enjoy!While we love the cookies, there is one step I forgot. Rolling the cookie balls in granulated sugar. This always adds a bit of sparkle and extra touch of sugary sweetness. This gives me the perfect excuse to make them again!
What about you? What are your favorite Valentine’s Day cookies?