We are down here in sunny Florida on an amazing family vacation. We have been counting down the days until this trip and now we are on day 2! We were invited to the Disney Social Media Moms Celebration where we paid the conference fee and are having such an incredible time that we are excited to share our experiences.
Today I woke up at 5 am to do the runDisney 2 mile Fun Run around the ESPN Wide World Of Sports. It was an early start the day but a fun and invigorating one. Ali Vincent, season 5 winner of the Biggest Winner was there to inspire and motivate us. It was a great run and an unforgettable way to start the day.
For more photos check out Disney Social Media Moms Day 1 & Fun Run.
After the run we cleaned up and then headed to breakfast and to the conference sessions. I was amazed by the multimedia screens. They added a captivating dimension to the conference and really helped punctuate the speakers’ presentations.
First up was all things Disney by George A. Kalogridis, President of Walt Disney World Resort.
He gave us a look at all of the upcoming innovative fun coming to the Disney Parks:
- Monstorous Summer with 3 parks being open for 24 hours on May 24, 2013
- More Limited Time Magic events to come
- New Festival of Fantasy Parade
- Opening of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride
- Avatar Land and Disney Springs in the works as well as Pirates of the Carribean: Treasure of the Seven Seas interactive adventure game
- My Disney Experience free mobile app
- Fast Past Plus will double the amount of experiences guest can enjoy and you can reserve rides, shows, character meet & greets before leaving home.
- MagicBand will offer touchpoints for resort doors, at park entrances, & for payments throughout parks. It will roll out later this year and will be available in a variety of colors.
We heard from the amazing Leanne Jakubowski, Director of Social Media at Walt Disney World Resort. She’s welcomed us warmly and let us know there was a lot of fun in store ahead.
The conference was emceed by Renee Syler of Good Enough Mother. Renee is an amazing speaker, inspirational, and funny too.
She had a number of fantastic takeaways throughout the day that can be applied to many parts of life. Some of my favorites include:
- Compare = despair. Run your own race. If you want to be unhappy keep comparing yourself to other people.
- No one will believe in you as much as you believe in yourself.
- You’re only going around once in this life, make the most of it.
- Surround yourself with the right kind of people. There’s no room in your life for people who make you feel bad. You need people who will stoke your fire not soak your fire.
Our first speaker was Olympic medalist Shannon Miller. She spoke about entrepreneurial spirit and social media.
Here are a few quotes from her presentation that I found inspirational:
- It’s usually those unplanned moments that show our character.
- Sometimes what seems like a brick wall is actually a spring board to our success.
- No matter what you just keep going.
- Sometimes you can fall and win. That’s life. You get knocked down you pick yourself up and you just keep going.
- Be open to unexpected opportunities and be ready to walk through that door when it opens.
Next up was Jackie Huba author of Monster Loyalty: How Lady Gaga Turns Followers Into Fanatics.
Her presentation showcased how Lady Gaga has built a loyal following and is one of the most popular social media voices in the world. She had a lot of wonderful tips directly applicable to blogging including:
- Focus on your one percenters – you don’t have to be an amazing rock star to have one percenters
- 5x cheaper to keep a customer than to go after new ones
- Lady Gaga’s manager Troy Carter said, “It’s more important to have one million diehard fans than to have 54 million facebook likes
- Companies who lead with values outperform the market
- One percenters love to talk about you but you need to generate something to talk about.
- Obscurity is the enemy.
We also heard got to hear about Her Universe by creator, Ashley Eckstein, in a conversational discussion with Gary Buchanan.
It was interesting to learn that she designed the line after starring in sci-fi shows and realizing there was no fashionable feminine sci-fi clothing lines. She showed us a couple of her pieces and they were very cute.
We were then chased from the room by Storm Troopers out into the hallway where we also had a chance to pose for photos for photos with them and a few other friends.
During lunch we learned about Disney Infinity which sounds amazing and I can’t wait for it to come out in August!
The game has collectibles that you place on a platform and then can interact with them right in the game.
The Toy Box area is a great intro into game design and can be customized in many amazing and fun ways.
You can control time, control the camera, and make your own platforming games. If you decide to make a soccer game you can add one soccer ball or four. You can also drive around in the Astro Blaster.
Have Jack Sparrow fly around in Dumbo.
Or put a pirate in the Disney Parks parking lot tram!
What you create in the Toy Box can even be saved and shared with others.
We also learned about the new Story app courtesy of Disney. You add photos, videos, and text to your story and the pages turn like a book. It’s really a dramatic way for everyone to share their story.
Next up was Gary Buchanan and Thomas Smith for the Disney Social Media Fire & Ice session.
They had a lot of great tips and quotes. Here’s a few of my favorites:
- People connect with people not logos.
- It doesn’t matter where you take thing.
- “If you’re coasting it means you’re going downhill” – Walt Disney
- If you take your foot off the gas for two seconds someone might steal your idea.
- Imagination is the difference between what Buzz thought was a laser and what Woody thought was just a light bulb that blinked.
- It doesn’t matter where you are or what you do everybody is creative.
Then we heard from Marc Mero from Champions of Choices.He is a former professional wrestler who gave both a heartbreaking and inspiring presentation about bullying and suicide prevention.
Marc speaks at schools around the country in his quest to banish bullying and about how you can be happy in life no matter the circumstances.
His presentation was impactful, realistic, and had many of us tearing up. Here’s just a few of his important takeaways:
- Happiness is the key to success.
- The greatest gift my mother ever gave me…she believed in me.
- Your friends are like elevators they either take you up or they will take you down.
- You show me your friends and I’ll show you your future.
- We all have an impact on each other’s lives whether it’s positive or negative.
- Maybe you can be the light in someone’s darkness.
- I’ve learned that no matter how hard it is no matter how much adversity you go through it gets better.
- Every day you should make someone feel special – if they don’t have a smile give them yours.
The mood in room lightened a bit when Gaston showed up and did a comical dance number. It was fun, lighthearted, and had us all laughing.
Our closing keynote was Dayna Steele. She spent many years in radio, met many famous musicians, and along the way learned a lot about success along the way.
She has a site called Rock Star Success with Rock Star Principles and had some great tips for achieving success:
- You have to believe because if you don’t believe no one else is going to believe.
- “Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself .”– Gene Simmons
- The world moves at the speed of a smartphone if you want to be successful you need to keep up with technology.
- Take every advantage you have to grow your network.
- The number one most important thing is that it’s not about you it’s about doing things for other people without expecting anything in return.
- Take a little extra time to say thank you.
Throughout the conference there were a number of fantastic giveaways as well. There were gift baskets from H2O, American Tourister Colora Luggage, and even a night’s stay in Cinderella’s Castle Suite in the Magic Kingdom!
I was thrilled to have won a cute and colorful Dooney & Bourke handbag!
We had a bit of downtime after the conference to catch up with our families either in the park or at the Contemporary. My family had spent the day at Hollywood Studios and had returned to swim and rest a bit before dinner.
Dinner that evening was amazing! We hopped on buses and were dropped off on the set of Lights, Motors, Action, Extreme Stunt Show in Hollywood Studios.
It was an incredible evening with delicious food, dancing, caricatures, painting and delectable dessert tables. The kids were all excited because they had seen the show earlier in the day so being able to dine and dance there made for an unforgettable evening.
Both the day and evening were wonderful and we now have a collection of photos, videos, and memories we’ll cherish forever.
We look forward to the fun ahead of us on day three and I’ll be sure to post with a recap, so stay tuned for that. In the meantime, be sure to follow me on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for updates throughout the day.
If you enjoyed this post, you may also like:
Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell says
Wow, what a jam packed day of fun and they sure knew how to feed you right! Congrats on winning that cutie pie purse!
It looks like you had such an amazing time! I hope to attend one year. It looks like you learned so much but also had an amazing opportunity to enjoy your family as well. I have loved reading all your posts!
Kim Bergeron says
Looks like a blast!!! What a blessing for you and your family, huh!
Wow that is a lot of info to take in in one day. And I am so looking forward to avatar land! :)
I bet it was the trip of a lifetime. Learning and sharing the lobe for Disney with your family must have been a amazing opportunity!! Congrats!
Mama to 4 Blessigns says
like a great time! I am sure you learned a lot with those great speakers!
Wow! This seems like an amazing conference! Great presenters and time with the family! I love Disney and it looks like you had star treatment.
Jessica @FoundtheMarbles says
Wow. What a terrific day!
The Fun Run was the perfect way to start out the day! Great recap of the day!!
What an awesome experience!
Samantha G. says
This is so cool, I’m jealous! I am such a big Disney fan– thanks for sharing :)
Jennifer Clay says
This looked like a lot of fun! I wish I was there! Your pictures are so great and it looks like you had fun on day 2!
Conference day was just so amazing and inspirational! You got some really amazing pics. I wish we would have found some time to hang out while we were there.
Sounds like a blast!! This would have been something I’d enjoy!
I downloaded the Story App last week. Excited to try it out.
Wow! You packed a lot into one trip! I found the speakers’ words inspirational too, sometimes you need to hear a different perspective or get a little boost to propel you forward.
What a BLAST!!! I’m so excited about the upcoming Dwarf Mine ride at Disney. I will make a special trip out to see that when it opens!
Amber Edwards says
Wow, I’m blow away by all the fun things you have been able to do! I love the tip “Compare = despair.”! That is so true! And one I constantly have to remind myself.
What an amazing opportunity! It looks like a lot was learned and a lot of fun was had too. Love the take aways from Renee Syler.
SHELLEY R ZUREK says
What an amazing chronicle. The multi-screens at the presentations really intrigue me. How did you process this much fun?
Crystal @ Simply Being Mommy.com says
So fun. It sounds like everyone had a blast.
I loved every one of the speakers. Each brough wisdom to the plate. Ah-mazing experience!
Really truly does sound amazing. That’s awesome storm troopers chased you out!
Shell Feis says
Looks like SUCH an amazing time! The speakers all had amazing advice, thank you for sharing it. &I can not WAIT for Disney Infinity!
Beeb Ashcroft says
What a fabulous recap! What a great mixture of fun with really interesting and informative sessions. Thanks for sharing some of your takeaways with us.
Lynsey @MoscatoMom says
I am not sure I have EVER been so jealous LOL That looks AMAZING. What an incredible line up of speakers. Wow. Just wow. You rock lady.
Anne - Mommy Has to Work says
Wow, What an amazing day! I love Disney!
Ashley - Embracing Beauty says
Wow, that sounds like you had a GREAT time! I love Disney and even though I’m a little jealous of you, I’m SO Very excited that you were able to participate. That must have been a fabulous trip!
WOW what an incredible experience!!! And educational, too! I love the Gene Simmons quote. I am good at being delusional. ;)
Dawn Lopez says
Wow Tesa, this looks like a day full of dreams come true! That must have been a truly amazing day from start to finish.. must have been so cool to run around Disney before opening hours!
Love that some parks will be open for 24 hours on select days.. how COOL!
Those are a lot of great tips. So much fun and so packed with learning experiences.
I would love to do that run in the morning. I love to wake up early and exercise. It looks like you had a really fun day! We need to plan a trip to Disney…
Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell says
Now that is a lot to pack into a day, but every bit of it was worth it. So, so fun!!!!
what an fun amazing day! loved seeing all the photos you took!
Loved seeing all the awesomeness! You look like you are having a blast!
Love reading your review! Looks like such a wonderful time!
Tammy S says
What a great day! It looks like everyone is enjoying themselves. I think it’s great your family gets to attend with you.
What a fun event. So many cool pictures of you with different characters. Ha!
Loving these recaps! Looks like you learned some great stuff at these sessions.