This morning I woke up bright and early excited for another day of Disney Social Media Moms 2012! We were thrilled to escape the cold Michigan weather and with a spring vacation. We paid the conference fee and had such an unforgettable trip that I’m excited to share our experience.
By 7:30 am this morning, I was on my way to Fantasyland for a sneak peek behind-the-scenes tour of the current construction. We were given a variety of choices for extra sessions and I was thrilled to see this opportunity listed!
We walked through Magic Kingdom before it was open. It was so fun seeing the park empty.
We listened to Imagineer Tim talk about the different areas of the park. We learned that Belle’s castle is actually only 30 feet high but due to forced perspective it looks much, much taller.
We also learned the Be Our Guest restaurant will seat 500 people and will 0ffer quick food options and a more casual atmosphere for lunch but then close down to two rooms and provide an elegant fine dining atmosphere for dinner.
The Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride will start slowly through a dark mine scene where you see the dwarfs working in the mine and then it will become a coaster ride, ending by passing through the dwarfs house where we’ll see Snow White dancing with the dwarfs.
Gaston’s Village Tavern is a snack shop which will most likely offer French inspired food like soft pretzels and root bear. There will also be a shop identical to the bookstore at the beginning of Beauty and the Beast.
In Storybook Circus, the line for the Dumbo ride will wind through an indoor air conditioned area with seating for parents and a play area for children. The Dumbo ride tells his story with the storks on top, elephant trunks holding peanuts in the middle, and artistic storyboards all around.
After the tour we took the bus back to the Disney Yacht Club where the conference sessions were getting under way.
The speakers were motivating, inspiring, and funny. They had us all laughing and taking notes furiously. Here are some of my favorite takeaways from each speaker:
Maryellen Hooper: Conference Host & Comedienne – she was hilarious and peppered the conference with family friendly mom-relatable humor
Meg Crofton: President of Walt Disney World Resort and Parks
- The Art of Animation Resort Nemo wing will be the first to open. Guests are meant to feel like Nemo. The sculpture of Mr. Ray is 26 feet wide!
- She also stated that the attendees at Disney Social Media Moms generate 15 million Twitter impressions a week.
- Social media is the new word of mouth.
Amy Jo Martin: Digital Royalty
- Everyone’s content is the same but how you deliver it, is unique to you.
- Designing your day means doing more of what makes you happy.
- How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.
Ramon DeLeon: Domino’s Pizza
- Those who help people, win.
- Give people “Wow” to share and they will. Challenge yourself and create your own “Wow.”
- Be inspired and you will be in demand.
Gary Buchanan: Disney’s Social Media Managing Editor
- Talked about Star Wars Weekends
- Hyperspace Hoopla – galactic kiss good night street party
- Star Tours 3D – you can ride 3 or 4 times and have a different ride each time
- Disney allows parents to be kids and kids to help plan vacation. Excitement brings everyone together.
- There’s only 18 summers to have a family vacation with your child.
- Disney World is all about escaping reality. Memories are like glue that keep families together.
Peter Shankman: The Geek Factory
- Be a weed. A weed is different, it sticks around. Being different rocks.
- Nothing exciting ever happens in your comfort zone. Staying in your comfort zone is usually because of fear.
- 90% of the reasons our ideas fail is because we’re waiting for other people’s approval.
- No matter what you have to go through, there is no harsher critic in the world than yourself.
- If you’re not having fun, you’re not doing it right.
Lisa Druxman: Stroller Strides
- Many people don’t accomplish what they want to accomplish because they don’t take that first step.
- Every challenge is an opportunity.
- Number one thing that keeps you from getting whatever it is you want is your own brain.
Chris Brogan: Human Business Works
- If you don’t have business goals in mind, how are you going to achieve success.
- Never invest in a social network, invest in people.
- Attention is currency.
The speakers were wonderful and I’m so excited to take what I learned from them and not only apply it to blogging, but to life as well.
Other highlights of the conference included:
Enthusiastic video greetings from Katie Couric and Kelly Ripa
And giveaways! A night’s stay at Cinderella’s Castle, a trip to the opening of the new Disney Baby Store in Disneyland, a 6 hour VIP tour of one of the Disney Parks, a Yacht Club 3 hour yacht tour, Dooney & Burke purses, box sets of books by Ridley Pearson,
After the conference we had a little downtime to catch-up with our families before dinner. I was excited to hear all about the fun my family had at Magic Kingdom. They spent the morning there and enjoyed the attractions. Then to get out of the 90 degree heat, they came back to do a little swimming. Have you seen the Yacht Club pool? It’s incredible!
After a brief rest, we all got ready for a fun and fantastic dinner at the Animal Kingdom! When we arrived we were directed to Dinoland. The set-up was fun and festive and a big hit with everyone.
The food was once again fantastic and the activities and entertainment kept us smiling all evening long. We loved the dance party, the chance to ride some of the rides as many times as we wanted, as well as unlimited games.
Stay tuned for tomorrow’s post which will include: Disney Social Media “Fire & Ice” Conference Session and Family Dinner at Disney’s New Art of Animation Resort!
Don’t forget to follow our adventures on Twitter at the hashtag: #DisneySMMoms
If you enjoyed this post, you may also like:
- Disney Social Media Moms 2012: Day 1 – Cocktail Party & Swashbuckler Soiree
- Disney Social Media Moms 2012 – We’re Going!