Summer weather is still hanging on here in Cleveland. While I’m enjoying fall recipes, it’s been fun continuing to make summer inspired favorites lately too. I find it amazing that we’ve are still able to indulge in ice cream cones and frozen coffee drinks in the beginning of October. But I’m all for it, I would love a mild fall and winter, then we could enjoy autumn recipes right alongside some of our favorite summer treats. In fact, these Cherry Cola Cupcakes are the perfect treat for a hot summer (or fall!) day. They full of delicious flavor and they look amazing complete with cherry on top.
- 3 cups flour
- 6 T cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups Coke
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 2 T red food coloring (optional, I did it to make mine redder)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin pans; set aside.
- Mix together flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa in a bowl; set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together coke, buttermilk, and vanila extract; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Mix in eggs.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to butter mix, alternating with coke mixture. Repeat until all incorporated.
- Fill muffin liners 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool while you make the frosting.
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 6 T powdered sugar
- 3 T coke
- Beat cream, coke, and powdered sugar together until stiff peaks form.
- Pipe onto cupcakes.
- If frosting is not stiff enough, add more powdered sugar and refrigerate until stiff.