I have to admit that I’m not much of a meal planner. Every now and then I’ll look up recipes and make a shopping list but even when I do so, I only end up making one or two recipes on the list. Typically, right around dinner time I go stand in the kitchen and open and close the cupboards, the fridge, and the freezer for 5 minutes or so trying to figure out what I can put together that is quick, delicious, and filling. Often this results in many breakfast for dinner recipes – which, thankfully, makes my family happy!
The other day I had some ground sausage I wanted to use and I was inspired to make a breakfast casserole. As I was pulling my ingredients together, I spied a spaghetti squash on the counter. Immediately I was curious about how it would taste in the casserole and decided to add it. I love spaghetti squash and we usually eat it with sausage and spinach (so amazing!) so I knew it would go well with the sausage, I didn’t know how it would taste mixed in with eggs however.
It was fantastic!
It tasted like a yummy egg and sausage breakfast casserole and the spaghetti squash melded right in with everything else. I was glad I had added it because it adds a healthy twist and it’s a great way to sneak in some veggies which is wonderful for picky eaters.
Kora, Logan, and Dave always love having breakfast for dinner and they couldn’t stop talking about how good this was. I thought it was a fun and flavorful dish as well and look forward to making it again soon. it only took a few minutes to prepare and we even had leftovers to enjoy the next morning!
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 med. size spaghetti squash
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly coat an 8 x 8 baking pan with cooking spray
- Lightly poke holes in various places in the spaghetti squash. Heat in the microwave on full power for 4 min. Skin will give a bit when ready. Continue cooking for 1 minute at a time until it is ready.
- Brown sausage in a med. size skillet
- When squash is ready, cut it in half, remove the seeds with a fork. Then run a fork throughout the squash and placing the strands into a large mixing bowl.
- Add sausage and eggs to bowl. Mix well.
- Pour contents of bowl into baking dish and bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
What about you? What is your favorite breakfast for dinner recipe?