This is an amazing fall combination, French Toast and Apple Pie!
I don’t know about all of you, but apple pie has long been one of my favorite desserts. In fact, I used to ask for apple pie instead of cake for my birthday when I was younger. One of my favorite ways to wake up is to the smell of French Toast cooking. That’s why this delicious recipe is perfect especially this time of year. I hope it’s something you all love too!
- 2 Cups of apples peeled and diced (You can use any apples you prefer but Granny Smith Apples are recommended)
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp. sugar divided
- 5 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 12 slices white bread
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Confectioner’s sugar (optional)
- Cool whip/whipped cream (optional)
- Peel, core,and dice the apples
- Put apples and the cup of water into a frying pan on the stove. On a medium heat begin to heat apples for about 10 minutes or until the apples become tender
- While the apples are heating up, mix ½ cup sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and nutmeg
- When the apples are ready, stir the sugar cinnamon mixture into the apples
- Bring this mixture to a boil and cook for about 2 minutes or until the mixture starts to become thick, as if It is apple pie filling.
- Next, remove the mixture from heat and add lemon juice to it.
- Beat eggs, milk, vanilla, and remaining sugar into a shallow bowl.
- If you know how to make French toast and grilled cheeses you’ll be awesome at this part! Take one piece of bread and dip it into the egg mixture, only dip ONE side of the bread, not both as if you were making average French toast. Then place that piece in your pan, soaked side down and put about a 1/3 cup filling on the bread.
- Then take another piece and dip it in the mixture, place it on top of the other piece of bread soaked side up.
- Grill your sandwich as if it is a grilled cheese, flipping it when one side is done.
- Repeat the step above for the rest of your sandwiches
- Add powdered sugar, whipped cream, or soak in syrup if you desire!
You’re all done! See! That was really easy and fast, right? As mentioned in the recipe makes for 6 french toast sandwiches So if you need more or less you’re going to want to adjust the ingredient amounts. Now you have an amazing, easy treat for breakfast that puts a delicious fall spin on your average French Toast! I hope you all really enjoy making and eating this!